Villa Grant was built in 1400 next to an ancient roman domus belonged to Publio Terenzio, a 2nd century b.C. poet. Today we can still admire some well-preserved parts of this ancient domus.
16th century’s maps name the structure ‘Capo Cotta’. First Villa Grant belonged to the Capranica family, later to Edward Grant, a banker from London, then to the Borghese family and, after the Italian unity and after that Rome was made capital of the Country, the Villa was purchased by the Savoia royal family.
It was owned by Vittorio Emanuele III until his death, 27th of December 1947, when it was inherited by his daughters.
The adjoining area, inherited by Umberto 2, was seized 1st of January 1948 as the Italian Constitution came in force and it bacame part of Castel Porziano’s Presidential Estate.